Created in 1995, the NAMME Scholarship is awarded annually to underrepresented minority students who have completed the first year of health professions training. Nominated students are selected based upon their academic record, community service, financial need, personal statement and letters of recommendation. Eight $1,000 scholarships are awarded annually.
- To be considered for the NAMME National Scholarship, student applicants must be nominated by a regular NAMME member. Applications and instructions for 2017 are available here.
To be considered for the NAMME National Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be nominated by a regular NAMME member in good fiscal standing.
- Be an underrepresented ethnic minority (American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander*). *Designations consistent with NAMME, Inc. Mission Statement
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited health professional school or program where they are in good academic standing and have completed at least the first professional year of training. Undergraduate or Graduate Allied Health Profession students who have completed at least 1 semester or 2 quarters in their undergraduate or graduate allied health program are eligible to apply.
- Professional students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0, if the curriculum is graded. If the curriculum is Pass/Fail, the student must be passing all course work. Undergraduate or graduate allied health students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
Criteria for Selection:
The NAMME National Scholarship Committee will make up to eight (8) awards on the basis of:
- Documented financial need
- Academic achievement
- Community service
- Personal statement/essay
- Letters of recommendation
- Recommendation forms
Number and Amount of Scholarship:
Up to eight (8) scholarships for $1000.00 each.
Applications must be received by the National Scholarship Chair by June 9th, 2017. Application materials must be sent under one cover (no partially completed applications or copies please). Application packets not containing all required materials will be disqualified.
Selection of Candidates:
The complete application and supporting documentation should be forwarded to the National Scholarship Chair for review by the National Scholarship Committee. The Committee will select up to eight (8) recipients and present their recommended recipients to the National Board of NAMME for approval. Recipients will receive a Notice of Award from the National Scholarship Chair in August 2017.
MAIL APPLICATIONS TO NAMME EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR:
National Association of Medical Minority Educators, Inc. (NAMME)
Felicia D. Kenan, MPA, CMP| Executive Director
1231 J Collier Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
For more information contact the Scholarship Chair, Colette M. McLemore, M.A., mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org